Monday, March 17, 2014

Enemy Mine

Matthew 5:43-45 Matthew 5:43-45  “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’  But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,  that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 

I remember the Sci-fi movie from the mid-80's entitled, Enemy Mine. A soldier from Earth crash-lands on an alien world after sustaining battle damage. Eventually he encounters another survivor, but from the enemy species he was fighting; they band together to survive on this hostile world. In the end the human finds himself caring for his enemy in a completely unexpected way.

As Jesus is preaching his Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5), after describing what it means to be bless-ed, he begins to talk about how we are to treat others. He tells us that we are to be Salt and Light - we are to be world-changers. He says to keep ALL of God's commandments. He warns us not to use words to commit murder. He tells us not to commit adultery in your mind. He talks about divorce, making promises we can't possibly keep, and....seeking revenge. We're not used to thinking like this!

Then he talks about a subject that is very difficult - something so backwards -something so upside down.

He says, "Love your enemies!" Wait....WHAT?! Love those who persecute me and the ones I love? That's crazy-talk Jesus!

But as I begin to really think about that idea of loving those who persecute me or those I care about, another story came to my mind - The Good Samaritan (Luke 10:25-37).

When Jesus tells the "Good Samaritan" story he begins by asking his followers, "Who is my neighbor?" As I thought about this question, yet  another question came to my mind. Not so much "who is my neighbor" but instead, "who is my ENEMY?" 

I'm very confused and heartbroken over recent events. I see my friends around the world hurting and I am seemingly powerless to do anything about it (or am I?). I have lots of questions about how to walk with them through this catastrophe.

Matthew 5 reminds us of the responsibility we have to pray for my "enemies". In 1 Timothy 2:1-2 Paul reminds us of the responsibility we have to pray for our governments and leaders. Sometimes governments seem like our enemies. Right? What would happen if we took these responsibilities seriously?

If we aren't careful, we might find ourselves caring for our enemies in a completely unexpected way.

Lord, you have a plan for each of us. Remind us daily of our responsibility to pray for those who seem to be out to get us. Remind us daily to pray for the leaders of the world - even those we perceive to be our enemies. In that way, may we come to care about our enemies in a completely unexpected way. Enable us to see with your eyes today. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment