Friday, December 30, 2011

"Praise God" for all of man's ingenuity and technology.

Me and Alexey
What an awesome morning!

I coudn't sleep after 630 or so. So, I got up. As usual I first went to the computer and started my daily routine of signing in to all the various social networks email accounts, blogs, etc.

I had recently signed up on a social network called "vkontakte.ru" (vK.ru). It's sort of a eastern European Facebook. Many of our orphan outreach team's Ukrainian members are there. I can easily communicate with them in English (as they speak the language or several languages fluently).

Usually, if I communicate with kids it is through our team mentors (90% of the time). My Russian is "ochen ploho!"... very bad. I am so thankful for our mentors and the way they serve these children by helping us to teach and communicate. Mostly, i'm thankful for their patience with my poor language skills. Without complaining they take the time to translate and correct my English into Russian.

However, on vK.ru, I also found several of the kids that we spend time with each summer and December.

So this morning I added a few of the recent "graduates" - these are 16-17 year-olds that are typically in a trade school.

I found my friend Alexey and added him to my friend list. Within just a few moments I hear a "clack". I got a message from him!

Now, my browser of choice is Google Chrome and I have Google Translate (GT) functioning in the background. In an instant I see the Russian become English! I quickly opened a new tab and clicked my link to GT. I tapped a message and copy/pasted it to reply to Alexey.

Then I asked, "Do you see my response in Russian or English?"

He responds..."Russian, of course. ???" Like, "Well duh!"
Like me, Alexey is
a goalkeeper also.

All I'm saying is "Praise God" for all of man's ingenuity and technology. He has made it possible for me to stay in contact with kids that I know and love 5,000 miles away! God is good. Always. All the time.












P.S. he wants to know when we are coming back. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment